NZ Avocado has a responsibility to facilitate industry consultation and advocate on behalf of the avocado industry to ensure the interests of the horticulture sector are being accounted for in resource management planning and policy decisions. The industry must continue to actively participate in decision making on issues such as regional and district plans, property rights, water access and quality, along with an ever increasing array of environmental issues.
Understanding grower’s perspectives is key in determining how new polices or rules may impact on their horticulture operation. Partnering with Horticulture New Zealand and other industry groups, NZ Avocado has active involvement in the resource management planning process and will continue to facilitate opportunities for industry consultation.
Key areas of focus include:
- Maintaining an active relationship with regulators especially Regional and District Councils.
- Facilitating opportunities for Council consultation with growers.
- Supporting the appropriate use of industry and public funding for research to develop the required models & tools for industry to grow sustainably and meet compliance requirements.
- Work with Horticulture NZ and relevant industry groups on submissions to proposed changes to Council plans, regulations, National Policy Statements and National environmental standards.
- Continue to promote the concept of Good Management Practice to manage land and water resources.