Welcome to New Zealand Avocado, the peak body and operating entity of the avocado industry in New Zealand. The following links point to important documents, information and forms.
If you are taking over the ownership of an existing avocado orchard, are developing a new avocado orchard or are leasing an avocado orchard you need to have a PPIN Orchard Identification number this is required to become an NZAGA member.
Please note that if you are taking over an existing orchard although this already has a PPIN you will still need to arrange for a new one to reflect the change in ownership.
Things to consider when planting or buying an orchard:
- The avocado is inherently a biennial cropping tree
- Is the site suitable for planting/growing avocados?
- What is the yield history and export pack out rate of the existing orchard?
- Are there any site or disease issues that could have a long term effect?
- Does the orchard have irrigation?
- Are the estimates of income and expense in your proposed budget realistic?
- Were the plants sourced from an NZAGA accredited nursery?
- How well supplied is the area for orchard support services (spraying, pest monitoring, packing)?
Should you require further technical help, we recommend you contact a consultant - search horticulture in the yellow pages.
Need some advice to help you along on your new venture? Click here to see a list of avocado consultants.
Industry regulations and requirements for export:
- Grower manuals and guides
A range of grower manuals and guides are available for purchase online - click here to be taken to the Avoshop
- Handouts from recent field days
You may also like to view the handouts from our recent field days - please see the Resources section of our website or click here to view.
If you have any queries regarding NZAGA membership please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0800 AVOCADO (0800 286 223).